DJ Boring


In Malta for my summer holiday, I decided I wanted to see the more 'actual' side to Maltese living. A friend convinced me to buy a ticket to an electronic pool party. It's not really my thing but I was curious, the DJ was meant to be good and I imagined a fancier, more cocktaily affair than what I ended up experiencing. I found the music too commercial and rather soulless on the day, except for the last hour and a half in which I managed to get into it and danced my heart out. Yet the crowd at this party is what enticed me. These local youth seemed refreshingly liberated even if potentially materialistic. They were surprisingly at ease in their skimpy but laid-back beach clothes, not held back by self-doubt or oppressive guilt. Lads in Hawaiian shirts and 90's sunglasses, bearded hipsters, young girls wearing crop tops and transparent overalls. I was a little taken aback. This was different to the Malta I remember a decade ago when youngsters were more cautious and sensible. These young people seemed to be more PRESENT. This gave me some hope that such youth may dynamise future Maltese society. If only this could be transferred to society and politics which in Malta are still typically weirdly separated from culture.

Comments

Popular Posts