Oldworld

Malta Chamber of Commerce
I typically start getting bored after the first honeymoon week of my summer holidays in Malta. After a couple of days in which I withdrew indoors, spending time with my family and on my personal projects, I needed some fresh air. I headed to Valletta to the elegant building of the Malta Chamber of Commerce, where I attended an inspiring Social Innovators' workshop courtesy of the Valletta Design Cluster. I attended it both to discover what they meant by this fancy term and also to learn more about the VDC which I have been hearing about for quite a while. I was impressed when I received more details about the EU funded initiative, which plans to turn the old Biccerija into a creative hub, offering spaces for social creatives, a public rooftop garden, a food centre and various other forward looking and socially engaged elements. Canadian Rafael Pasqual-Leone, one of the managers of the VDC, spoke with candid enthusiasm about his belief that design can improve things and the potential of Malta's compact size to make impact more effective. This resonated with me, as I always have a love-hate relationship with Malta's size due to its limits but also potential ease.

After the workshop, I stayed for a while in Valletta. I sat at Caffè Cordina in Pjazza Regina, previously known as Il-Premier by my parents, where Il-Pusè's band were playing old classics to a softly lit square full of people having dinner or drinks. The heat had abated and there was a pleasant evening breeze. A few people even stood to dance. I felt like I was in a timewarp, savouring some of the city's oldworld elegance. Valletta has become so chic and glamorous. If only the authorities would see its real beauty rather than overgentrify it and turn it into another tacky Sliema. Caffè Cordina has got it. Will the government?

Caffe' Cordina in Pjazza Regina, Valletta.

Comments

Popular Posts